Why You Should Escape to the Country

Have you ever dreamed of living in the country?
Well, since we have discovered that teleworking is perfectly possible, many of us have thought about going somewhere else with our trade. So what’s holding us back? It is quite possible that we’re thinking about the comforts that the city centre offers us, the job opportunities, the connections with the means of transport…

Today in Spain, almost 90% of the population is concentrated in Madrid and the coastal territories – that’s 42 million people. Only the remaining 10% live inland.

As a result of the confinement, many in Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza have considered turning these figures around. And their own lives, of course. Will we discover once and for all what the pleasures of rural life are?

What advantages are there to living in the country?

We know the advantages of living in the city, because we are probably more used to it. But living in the country also has many advantages. The main one? The peace. But there are also other factors you should consider


If your budget only allows for a small flat in the centre of town or the city, you may need to extend your search radius and check what offers are available in the suburbs and the countryside. Generally, homes built on rustic land have a lower sale price


This point would be in the savings section, because the truth is that the Property Tax (IBI) that you always have to pay on a property in Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza will be lower, if you compare it with the price of any other property in a metropolis.


If there is one thing you really earn, beyond money, it is health. Natural life in the countryside will give you more light, less pollution, peace of mind and fresh air. There are no ambulances every five minutes, no engine noise, no hurrying, no honking… and maybe for the first time you know what it’s like to sleep soundly!

The food

Maybe in your new country home you’ll even be able to start your own garden. If not, don’t worry, because you will also have the possibility of buying local products in a much more accessible way, directly from the producer.

What should we take into account before buying in rural areas?

If you are convinced and want to take a definitive turn in your life to go to a rural area, there are a few things to consider first.

Building a new home on a rustic property is often difficult in Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza. It is a great restriction, but you have other possibilities, such as renovating an old house. Depending on the autonomous community, you can even build a single-family home. To do this, it is advisable to consult an architect and the Land Law of the Autonomous Community to find out about your options.

The most practical way to do this is to consult with your estate agent regarding the property of interest. As soon as you decide to contact the owner, before formalizing the sale, you will have to do a series of steps, which are the following:

  • Request a simple registration note to know the charges against, and limitations, of the property in the Commercial Register
  • Ask the seller for the tax receipts of the last few years
  • Sign a public sales contract with a notary who certifies the sale as legal
  • Register the property in the Land Registry.

So, are you prepared to escape to the country?


Should you require any assistance or legal counsel concerning properties, purchases and sales on the island of Ibiza, please contact us at your convenience at info@mallorcasolicitors.co.uk or by phone on the numbers listed on our contact page.


You May Also Like